Rome Didn't Fall in A Day.









Objective Truth Exists, and is Accessible to Everyone.

All Human Problems can be Solved with Enough Knowledge, Wealth, Social Cooperation and Time.


Photo: Rusty Peak, Anchorage, Alaska


Translate

Monday, March 14, 2011

Corporate Governance Reform

One of the most needed reforms of the financial system is in the process for nominating directors of publicly traded companies.

Currently, the nomination process is controlled by corporate management.  Management presents a slate of directors to the shareholders for approval, but there is no alternative to the management slate, and no easy way to for shareholders to present an alternative.  During the Bush administration, a proposal was presented to the SEC to allow shareholder nominations for directors.  SEC commissioners voted down the proposal in a party-line vote, with the Republican majority prevailing.

It is all too easy for management to nominate candidates who are compliant and inclined to vote large bonuses for management.  No alternative choices are presented to the shareholders.  These directors then become attractive candidates to serve on additional corporate boards.  The conflict of interest is blatant.  No particular knowledge of business or a particular industry is necessary, so you often see retired generals and astronauts, university presidents or other prestigious candidates without business experience.
This system, where management controls the nomination process for company directors, contains intrinsic conflicts of interest.   It is institutionalized, systematic corruption.  And it is the legal and everyday way to conduct business in America today.

It is disappointing to me that the financial reforms recently enacted have not included a reform of the process of nominating directors.   Shareholders should have not only a right, but an obligation to nominate the directors who will supervise the management of publicly traded companies.

Also see:
http://dougrobbins.blogspot.com/2011/04/executive-compensation.html

1 comment:

  1. I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete